Survey Data

Reg No

20512496


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social


Original Use

Church/chapel


In Use As

Church/chapel


Date

1885 - 1895


Coordinates

167794, 72216


Date Recorded

27/09/1995


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Three-bay gable-fronted Baptist church over basement, built 1892. Comprising of central entrance bay with bellcote, flanked by gabled breakfront tower to the west, and having recessed single-bay to the east. Pitched slate roofs with carved limestone bellcote and red brick chimneystack having clay pot. Red brick walls with ashlar limestone string courses and gable springers. Stained glass windows set in pointed arch and circular openings, some with limestone sills and hood mouldings. Pointed arch door opening with moulded brick surround, pair of timber matchboard doors having wrought-iron strap hinges, carved limestone plaque above, and carved limestone hood moulding with carved bosses. Limestone flag stones, wrought-iron gate and wrought-iron railings to street elevation.

Appraisal

This Baptist church is a notable and positive addition to this predominantly commercial streetscape. Architectural design is apparent in the form of the building, and it is enhanced by the retention of many original features and materials, such as the stained glass windows and wrought-iron railings. The building adds colour and textural contrast the streetscape, with the red brick wall, ashlar and carved limestone details, and the elaborate wrought-iron strap hinges.