Survey Data

Reg No

20512483


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

Office


In Use As

Office


Date

1850 - 1870


Coordinates

167748, 72185


Date Recorded

26/05/1997


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay three-storey commercial building, built c. 1860, as a pair with the adjoining property to the east. Now in use as offices. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystack and rendered parapet. Rendered walls with moulded render cornice and render platband at sill level of second floor. Segmental-arched openings to upper floors with moulded render surrounds and replacement uPVC windows. Timber fixed window and timber glazed doors to ground floor.

Appraisal

Built as pair with the adjoining building to the west, this pair makes a positive and notable contribution to the streetscape, due to the scale and form of the buildings. The three-storey scale of many of the nineteenth-century buildings on the south-west end of Mac Curtain street creates continuity and character in this part of the city. Though many interesting features and materials have been replaced, the building is enlivened and enhanced by the moulded render detail to the upper floors, which articulates the building.