Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1860 - 1870
Terraced two-bay three-storey former house with dormer attic, built c. 1865, now in use as offices. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystack and gabled dormers. Rendered walls with moulded render surrounds to upper floor openings. Timber sash windows to upper floors, with replacement uPVC windows to gabled dormers. Timber shopfront to ground floor c. 1890, comprising of pilasters supporting fascia and carved cornice above. Replacement timber fixed window and glazed door to ground floor.
Built as a pair with the adjoining former house to the west, this pair makes a notable and positive addition to the streetscape, due to the scale and form of the buildings. The three-storey scale of many of the nineteenth-century buildings on the south-west end of Mac Curtain street creates continuity and character in this part of the city. Though many interesting features and materials have been replaced, this former house is enhanced by the retention of the timber sash windows, moulded render detail, and the simple timber shopfront.