Survey Data

Reg No

20512471


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Cultural Social


Original Use

Theatre/opera house/concert hall


In Use As

Theatre/opera house/concert hall


Date

1890 - 1900


Coordinates

167815, 72155


Date Recorded

29/09/1995


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced three-bay single-storey stage entrance to theatre, built c. 1897, leading to three-storey auditorium building, which is set back behind buildings on the streetscape. Rendered walls to stage entrance with rendered parapet surmounted by urns, and having render pilasters, entablature and cornice. Single and paired doors to stage entrance, with toplights retaining some stained glass. Red brick walls and hipped slate roof to auditorium, retaining many interesting Moorish-style interior features and materials.

Appraisal

This pair of related theatre buildings form an interesting group. The stage entrance façade is a notable and interesting addition to the streetscape, which is articulated by the render detail, and is enhanced by the retention of the stained glass and decorative urns. The main auditorium building is set behind the buildings on the street, and little of it is visible from the streetscape. The Moorish-style interior of the auditorium is of particular interest, and the design is attributed to a London architect, R. H. Brunton. The embossed fibrous plasterwork painted panels, by artist Samuel Wright, are modelled on the style of the Oxford Theatre of Varieties, London.