Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1890 - 1910
Corner-sited end-of-terrace three-bay three-storey former commercial building, built c. 1900, now in use as hotel. Pitched tile roof with ashlar limestone copings. Red brick walls with ashlar limestone string courses, and having recessed blind arches with yellow brick plinth mouldings to ground floor openings. Segmental-arched openings to ground floor and first floor, and round-headed opening to second floor, with ashlar limestone voussoirs and sills. Timber panelled door with toplight, and timber fixed windows having limestone sills. Pair of timber sash windows to first floor with render surround and having render panels above, and timber sash window to second floor.
This building is of apparent architectural design and detail, and makes a positive addition to the quayside. The scale and form of the building is particularly notable, as it contrasts with the towering late twentieth-century block to west. The materials utilised in it's construction, such as the red brick and ashlar limestone, add colour and textural interest to the streetscape, and articulate the façade of the building.