Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use


In Use As

Theatre/opera house/concert hall


1890 - 1900


167811, 72132

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced former industrial building, built c. 1895, comprising of three-bay three-storey recessed central block, flanked by two-bay three-storey blocks to the east and west, with two-bay four-storey terminating block to the west. Pitched and hipped tile roofs. Red brick walls to upper floors, and having rendered walls to ground floor with cast-iron lettering. Timber sash, casement and fixed windows to upper floors, with louvred metal fittings to recessed central bay. Pair of round-headed integral carriage arches to ground floor, with raised render surrounds. Western carriage arch now blocked and in use as retail outlet. Cast-iron wheel guards to eastern carriage arch. Square-headed openings to ground floor with replacement doors.


Though now altered and poorly presented, this group of former industrial buildings is a significant reminder of the industrial heritage of this part of the city. The scale and form of the group make it a notable and positive addition to the quayside. This group retains many interesting features and materials, such as the cast-iron lettering, cast-iron wheel guards and red brick walls.