Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1820
Terraced two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1810, now in use as restaurant. Pitched slate roof with red brick chimneystack and rendered parapet. Rendered walls to upper floors with render quoins, moulded continuous sills and decorative render label mouldings over openings, c. 1880. Replacement aluminium windows to upper floors. Remains of carved shopfront, c. 1880, comprising of consoles having busts above, flanking cornice and fascia. Timber fixed window flanked by timber glazed doors to ground floor.
This former house is notable and positive addition to the streetscape, due to the scale and form of the building. Though interesting features and materials have been replaced, this building retains fine render detail which articulates the façade. The remains of the carved shopfront is a particularly notable feature of the building. This shopfront is of apparent artistic form and design, and was clearly executed by skilled craftsmen.