Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1870 - 1890
Terraced three-bay four-storey commercial building over basement, built c. 1880, now in use as retail outlet. Pitched slate roof with red brick chimneystack and red brick parapet. Red brick walls with yellow brick and ashlar limestone string courses. Square- and round-headed openings to upper floors, with limestone dressings and timber sash windows. Altered arcade to ground floor having ashlar limestone dressings and engaged columns with carved capitals. Timber glazed door with toplight and fixed timber window inserted to ground floor.
This building is a notable and positive addition to the streetscape, due to the scale and form of the building. The building is of apparent architectural design and detail, and the façade is articulated by the square-headed and round-headed openings, and by the string courses. The variety of materials utilised in it's construction, such as the red brick, yellow brick and grey limestone, add colour and textural interest to the streetscape. The carved limestone arcade to the ground floor is a particularly notable feature of the building, and was clearly executed by skilled craftsmen.