Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced three-bay three-storey former house over basement with integral carriage arch, built c. 1820, and having dormer attic. Now in use as flats. Pitched slate roof with moulded rendered parapet, rendered chimneystack and dormer addition. Rendered walls with platbands at sill levels to upper floors, and having limestone voussoirs to carriage arch. Timber sash windows with stone sills. Round-headed door opening with pair of columns and timber panelled reveals flanking replacement door, and having carved archivolt to fanlight. Limestone steps and bridge over basement area leading to entrance door. Replacement railings set on a rendered plinth to basement area.
This former house forms part of a significant group of buildings, built in the early nineteenth century, on both sides of St. Patrick's Hill, the north side of St. Patrick's Place, and part of Sidney Place. These former houses are interesting examples of late Georgian architecture in Cork city. The scale and form of this former house make it a positive addition to the streetscape. The building retains interesting features and materials, such as the timber sash windows, limestone steps, carved timber door surround and integral carriage arch.