Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced three-bay three-storey former house over basement, built c. 1820, with dormer attic. Now in use as college. Pitched tile roof with rendered parapet, rendered chimneystack and flat-roofed dormer addition. Rendered walls with string course between basement and first floor, and having platbands at sill levels of second and third floors. Timber sash windows, with moulded render surrounds c. 1870. Round-head door opening with moulded render surround, replacement timber panelled door and fanlight. Limestone steps and bridge over basement area leading to entrance door. Replacement cast-iron railings to basement area. Vaulted cellars in stable lane to rear.
This former house forms part of a significant group of buildings, built in the early nineteenth century, on both sides of St. Patrick's Hill, the north side of St. Patrick's Place, and part of Sidney Place. These former houses are interesting examples of late Georgian architecture in Cork city. The scale and form of this former house make it a positive addition to the streetscape. The building retains interesting features and materials, such as the moulded render door surround, moulded render windows surrounds, timber sash windows, limestone step and limestone threshold. The remains of the vaulted cellars in the stable lane to the rear is an interesting feature in the site of this building.