Survey Data

Reg No

20512409


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social


Original Use

Office


In Use As

Court house


Date

1875 - 1895


Coordinates

167579, 72154


Date Recorded

20/09/1995


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Corner-sited six-bay three-storey former commercial building, built c. 1885, now in use as court house. Double-height arcade to ground and first floors, formed by render double-height pilasters flanking openings, with render archivolts above. Continuous arcade with inset round-headed timber sash windows to second floor. Hipped roof with rendered chimneystacks and cast-iron vents. Rendered walls with render platbands and decorative eaves course. Cast-iron balconies to round-headed timber fixed windows. Replacement windows and doors to ground floor.

Appraisal

This Venetian-style late nineteenth-century building is an interest addition to the streetscape. Located on Camden Quay, with a prominent river side site, it is a notable building along the river front. The elaborate render detail enlivens the fa├žade of this unusual building, and enhances and articulates the architectural form of the building. This building retains many interesting features and materials, such as the timber sash windows and cast-iron balconies.