Survey Data

Reg No

20512389


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1830 - 1850


Coordinates

167658, 72197


Date Recorded

05/01/1996


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay three-storey building, built c. 1840, formerly larger, now partly demolished and rebuilt to the west. Pitched tile roof and rendered walls. Square-headed and segmental-arched openings to upper floors with timber sash windows set in single and tripartite arrangements. Carved timber doorcase comprising of engaged fluted Doric columns, supporting entablature above, and having limestone threshold. Replacement timber panelled doors and toplight. Shopfront c. 1965 to ground floor.

Appraisal

Though now truncated, this former house retains interesting features and materials, such as the single and tripartite timber sash windows and limestone threshold. The carved timber doorcase is a particularly notable feature of the building and was clearly executed by skilled craftsmen. This doorcase may have been reused from another building, as it's location on the fa├žade is unusual and is at odds with the fenestration above.