Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay three-storey former house over basement, built c. 1820, now in use as flats. Pitched slate roof with moulded rendered parapet and rendered chimneystack. Rendered walls with platbands at ground floor sill level. Replacement uPVC windows, with moulded render surrounds c. 1870. Carved timber door surround, comprising of pair of pilasters flanking door, with entablature above. Replacement timber panelled door and fanlight. Limestone steps and bridge over basement area leading to entrance door. Cast- and wrought-iron railings set on limestone plinths to basement area.
This former house forms part of a significant group of buildings, built in the early nineteenth century, on both sides of St. Patrick's Hill, the north side of St. Patrick's Place, and part of Sidney Place. These former houses are interesting examples of late Georgian architecture in Cork city. The scale and form of this former house make it a positive addition to the streetscape. The building retains interesting features and materials, such as the moulded window surrounds, timber door surround, limestone threshold and limestone steps.