Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay three-storey former house over basement, built c. 1820, with dormer attic. Now in use as youth club. Pitched slate roof with rendered parapet, rendered chimneystack and dormer additions. Roughcast rendered walls, with slate hanging to south gable. Replacement uPVC windows. Round-headed door opening, with moulded render surround, timber panelled door, sidelights and fanlight. Limestone steps and bridge over basement leading to entrance door. Cast-iron railings set on limestone plinths to basement area.
This former house forms part of a significant group of buildings, built in the early nineteenth century, on both sides of St. Patrick's Hill, the north side of St. Patrick's Place, and part of Sidney Place. These former houses are interesting examples of late Georgian architecture in Cork city. The scale and form of this former house make it a positive addition to the streetscape. The building retains interesting features and materials, such as the timber panelled door with stained glass sidelights and fanlight, the limestone steps, and slate cladding to the south gable.