Survey Data

Reg No

20506372


Rating

National


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Historical


Original Use

Office


In Use As

Office


Date

1810 - 1820


Coordinates

168151, 71927


Date Recorded

26/10/1993


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached three-bay two-storey over basement Cork Harbour Commissioner's offices, built 1814-19, with limestone facade having full width pediment with carved limestone arms. Double-height windows set within blind panels and rusticated basement. Slate pitched roof to main front and plain parapet with limestone cornice. Designed by William Hargrave and extended 1906. Elements of the original interior have been retained, including a vaulted basement, remains of original 'long room' on first floor having fluted Corinthian columns and a 1906 board room with elaborate decorated ceiling.

Appraisal

Early nineteenth century purpose built offices by William Hargrave having much carved limestone detail. Significant architecturally with interior surviving, but also as a symbol of the importance of the harbour to the city. Still in original use as headquarters of the Harbour Commissioners.