Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1890 - 1910
Terraced three-bay two-storey purpose-built public house and house, built c. 1900. Pitched slate roof having rendered chimneystacks and pair of gabled dormer windows with carved timber bargeboards. Red brick walls having moulded eaves corbels and elaborate glazed brick dressings. Timber sliding sash windows to first floor and replacement windows to dormers. Original timber shopfront comprising of pilasters flanking openings with fascia, cornice and consoles above.
This purpose-built house and public house is an interesting reminder of the provisions which were made for living over the shop during the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The polychrome brickwork is a particular notable feature of the building and it adds colour and textural interest to the streetscape. The survival of the original timber shopfront is unusual in the urban landscape and it is an interesting reminder of the design and craftsmanship which were employed in the execution of shopfront at that time.