Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Historical Social

Original Use


In Use As

Apartment/flat (converted)


1865 - 1885


166982, 71705

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Eleven-bay three-storey former iron works, c. 1875, building and site re-developed c. 1994, of original buildings only block to Hanover Street remains. Pitched roof. Red brick façade to Hanover Street in Flemish bond. Camber headed window openings with yellow brick dressings, windows having cills. Fixed multipane windows, each having a pair of pivoting panes. Steel corner projectors to arched entrance opening to courtyard, one incorporating cast iron figurine. Yellow brick to arched opening. Modern wrought iron gates leading to internal courtyard and block of apartments c. 1994. Elevation to courtyard having coursed random limestone façade with red brick dressings. Modern additions having a plain render finish. Camber headed openings and windows to original as the main façade, modern additions have square headed openings with uPVC windows, stairwell lit by a two storey round headed fixed modern window. Street frontage, site backs onto river.


The Hive Iron Works were an important iron works first established in Cork c. 1800. Its foundry built the iron gates to the Mardyke Walk and was the first in the country to manufacture marine steam engines. By the mid 1960's furnaces were demolished, as were most of the buildings still surviving in the late 1980's, to enable the construction of the unemployment exchange on Hanover Street. The remaining buildings are now incorporated into the Waterside Quay development. In the later years of the foundry's operation, these buildings would have been used as store and showrooms, but the ground floor level would originally have housed finishing shops. Highly significant industrial building which though modified, still retains its sense of scale and form.