Survey Data

Reg No

20503194


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

Office


In Use As

Office


Date

1820 - 1840


Coordinates

166973, 71727


Date Recorded

20/07/1995


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Three-storey premises, c. 1830, having retail outlet to ground floor with office accommodation to upper floors. Parapet having moulded cornice and plain coping. Red brick facade in Flemish bond with brick pilasters and frieze. Square headed openings to upper floors with soldier arches and cills. Windows are timber sliding sash six over six pane to second floor, nine over six pane to first floor. Timber shopfronts retaining many original elements. Moulded cornice, panelled plasters having moulding and festoons, full size display windows with entrance door having plain overlight. Rear elevation in random limestone with brick swept arches to camber openings. Mix of timber sliding sash, timber casement and timber fixed windows. Some openings partially bricked up, ground floor openings with window grilles. Bay with carriage arch having beehive motif carved on keystone, loading doors to the floors above and pulley mechanism to roof still in place. Triangular island site with street frontage.

Appraisal

Fine example of a nineteenth century commercial building on a very distinctive triangular site. Retaining much original material, as well as its scale and form generally unaltered. Contributes positively to the street in terms of character and function. Important also due to its location on one of the main commercial streets of Cork city, and due to its association with the Hive Iron works.