Survey Data

Reg No

20503193


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

Office


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1820 - 1840


Coordinates

166967, 71727


Date Recorded

20/07/1995


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced three-storey premises, c. 1830; having retail outlet to ground floor with office accommodation to upper floors. Parapet having moulded cornice and plain coping. Central area of parapet is cut away and railed. Red brick fa├žade in Flemish bond with brick pilasters and frieze. Square headed openings to upper floors with soldier arches and cills. Wyatt windows to upper floors with timber sliding sash two over two pane and six over six pane to second floor, two over two pane and six over nine pane to first floor. Timber shopfront retaining many original elements. Moulded cornice, panelled plasters having moulding and festoons, full size display windows with entrance door having plain overlight. Rear elevation in random limestone with brick swept arches to camber openings. Mix of timber sliding sash, timber casement and timber fixed windows. Some openings partially bricked up. Ground floor openings altered with window grilles. Triangular island site with street frontage.

Appraisal

Fine example of a nineteenth century commercial building on a very distinctive triangular site. Retaining much original material, as well as its scale and form generally unaltered. Contributes positively to the street in terms of character and function. Important also due to its location on one of the main commercial streets of Cork city, and due to its association with the Hive Iron works.