Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1760 - 1780
Terraced double-pile two-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1770, with full-height projecting bow to west elevation. Now in use as flats. Pitched slate roofs having rendered chimneystack and bracketed eaves course. Rendered walls with render platbands at sill levels of upper floors and having moulded continuous cornice over ground floor openings. Timber sliding sash windows set in square-headed openings with decorative render architraves. Round-headed door openings, having moulded archivolt and flanked by sidelights. Timber panelled door having fanlight and segmental-arched window opening to ground floor. Retaining interior features. Limestone paving leading to front door and cast-iron railings set on limestone plinths to site. Plaque to ground floor.
This house is part of a fine eighteenth-century terrace with the six adjoining houses to the west and south-east, and this terrace forms part of a significant group with the terrace of four houses to the east. These terraces are notable pieces in the urban landscape which were built in the eighteenth century close to the fashionable former mansion house. The building is enhanced by the retention of interesting features and materials, such as the timber sliding sash windows, limestone paving, slate roof and interior fittings. The house is also associated with George Boole, the first Professor of Mathematics at Queen's College, Cork, who lived here in the mid nineteenth century.