Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Detached multiple-bay former warehouse, built c. 1830. Enlarged and refronted, 1876, comprising of thirteenth-bay single- and two-storey façade, having gabled central and end bays. Now in use as leisure centre and amusement arcade. Pitched slate roofs. Snecked ashlar limestone walls with rusticated quoins, moulded string courses and red brick string courses. Red brick dressings and ashlar limestone lintels to window openings. Pointed arch door openings, having carved limestone surrounds, hood mouldings and foliated bosses. Paired timber matchboard doors with wrought-iron strap hinges. Three lancet openings having cinquefoil and hood moulding, to second floor of central bay.
This former Woodford Bourne bonded warehouse makes a notable and positive contribution to the streetscape. Built in the first part of the nineteenth century, this building was later remodelled in the late nineteenth century, and the design and detail of the building are representative of architectural theory at that time in Ireland. The materials utilised in the construction of this building, such as the grey limestone and red brick add colour and textural interest to the streetscape. The carved limestone details and elaborate wrought-iron hinges were clearly executed by skilled craftsmen and add artistic interest to this former warehouse.