Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1730 - 1750
Terraced three-bay three-storey former house, built c.1740, as a group of four with the adjoining three buildings to the east. Now in use as restaurant and flats. Pitched slate roof with red brick corner chimneystacks and cast-iron rooflights. Red brick walls to upper floors having ashlar limestone keystones over first floor windows. Timber sliding sash windows. Projecting timber shopfront. Retaining interior features.
This former house forms part of a significant eighteenth-century terrace with the adjoining contemporary buildings to the east and with the later former house to the east. These former houses are representative of architectural design and construction at that time. The form and scale of this landmark group are enhanced by the retention of notable features and materials, such as the steeply pitched slate roof, keystones and timber sliding sash windows. The survival of interior fittings enhance the significance of this building.