Survey Data

Reg No

20404312


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Historical, Social, Technical


Original Use

Country house


Date

1800 - 1840


Coordinates

150668, 170868


Date Recorded

--/--/--


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Remains of detached five-bay two-storey over basement Gothic Revival house with dormer attic, built c. 1820, having single-bay single-storey flat-roofed projecting porch to centre. Burnt, 1880, now in ruins. Roof now missing, retaining central gablet. Irregularly coursed sandstone walls with rusticated limestone quoins. Corner piers with pinnacles to porch. Limestone sills, block-and-start surrounds and label mouldings to openings. L-plan three-bay single-storey crenellated screen wall with lancet openings and gable between house and chapel. Detached three-bay single-storey rubble stone-built single-cell Lady's Chapel, built 1862-1863. Pitched slate roof with rooflights, cast-iron crestings and cut-stone bellcote. Irregularly coursed cut-stone sandstone walls with limestone quoins and stepped buttresses. Lancet openings with cut-stone dressings and timber stained glass windows. Timber panelled door. Group of detached buildings set around courtyard, built c. 1840, comprising nine-bay two-storey stable building with half-dormer attic, three-bay two-storey house and single-bay double-height building with elliptical-headed integral carriageway. Gateway, built c. 1840, comprising four cut-stone piers with cornices and pyramidal cappings set in curved walls having stile.