Survey Data

Reg No

20404217


Rating

National


Categories of Special Interest

Archaeological, Architectural, Artistic, Historical, Social


Original Use

Castle/fortified house


In Use As

House


Date

1460 - 1470


Coordinates

143937, 171674


Date Recorded

--/--/--


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Freestanding square-plan four-bay three-stage tower house with base batter, built c. 1465. Seven-bay single-storey wing with two-bay advanced bay, square-plan single-bay three-stage tower to left and two-bay two-storey bay to right, remodelled 1855 by architects James Pain (1779-1877) and his brother George Richard. Renovated, 1969, to accommodate use as restaurant and private residence. Pitched roof with castellations and machicolated to tower. Rubble stone walls to tower. Rock-faced cut-stone to extensions with Masonic symbols to keystones and carved plaques. Glazed gun loops and grouped narrow openings to tower. Cut-stone architraves with label mouldings and timber sliding sash windows to extensions. Retaining interior features. Detached two-bay single-storey gate lodge, built c. 1855. Limestone cut-stone pointed arch gateway with battlemented parapet having machicolation.