Categories of Special Interest
Archaeological, Architectural, Artistic, Historical, Social, Technical
In Use As
1170 - 1200
Freestanding crow-stepped gable-fronted Church of Ireland cathedral, built from 1170-1200, incorporating fabric of earlier buildings. Four-bay side elevations with single-bay recessed chancel to rear, having single-bay vestry to left. In ruins in 1840 and reconstructed c. 1850. Chancel and vestry now in ruins. Pitched artificial slate roof with bellcote having pyramidal capping and flanking finials. Rubble stone walls with slight batter to gable front. Lancet openings with cut-stone dressings and timber sliding sash and fixed windows. Pointed arch door opening with timber cut-limestone dressings, hood moulding and timber panelled door. Retaining interior features. Graveyard to site with various grave markers. Rubble stone boundary walls.