Survey Data

Reg No

20401101


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social


Original Use

Church/chapel


In Use As

Church/chapel


Date

1840 - 1860


Coordinates

137475, 198178


Date Recorded

--/--/--


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Freestanding gable-fronted double-height Roman Catholic church, built c. 1850, with three-bay side elevations. Lean-to bay added to rear, c. 1995. Pitched artificial slate roof with aluminium rainwater goods and cross finial. Cut-limestone entrance front with roughcast rendered walls to sides and rendered walls to rear. Pointed arch opening with cut-limestone surround and replacement timber panelled double leaf doors. Lancet windows with leaded coloured glass. Tripartite window arrangement to entrance and chancel elevations. Chancel openings partly blocked to accommodate reredos. Retaining interior features. Inscribed stone plaque in church "This monument was erected by a few of the parishioners of Kilkeedy in memory of their P.P., the Rev. Podl who died Sept 27th. 1836 requiscat in pace amen". Freestanding concrete belfry to site comprising square-profile columns with domed roof and concrete statue. Remains of cut-stone bellcote, c. 1850, to site.