Categories of Special Interest
Archaeological, Architectural, Artistic
In Use As
1730 - 1740
Detached seven-bay three-storey over raised basement Georgian house, built 1733-7, to designs by John Rothery (d. 1736). Hipped slate roof with cut-stone eaves course, moulded frieze and rendered chimneystack. Red brick walls to south elevation, cut-limestone to north elevation, having cut-stone quoins, string courses and architraves. Roughcast rendered walls to sides with cut-stone plinth and string courses. Segmental-arched openings to basement and square-headed openings to upper floors with timber sliding sash windows having thick glazing bars and limestone sills. Carved limestone pilaster and entablature doorcases with timber panelled doors to south and north elevations. Flight of limestone steps leading to south entrance. Detached eight-bay single-storey outbuilding with round-headed integral carriage arch and moulded architraves to openings. Red brick piers with ball finials having pedimented round-headed flanking niches and bellcote, set in rubble stone boundary walls.