Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Archaeological Historical Social
1750 - 1800
End-of-terrace two-bay two-storey house with dormer attic, c.1775, on a square plan with shopfront to ground floor. Occupied, 1901; 1911. Disused, 1997. Restored, 2011-2. Pitched slate roof with ridge tiles, diagonal chimney stack (east) on rubble stone base having paired stringcourses, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves retaining cast-iron downpipes. Rendered battered wall to front (north) elevation with rusticated rendered piers to ends supporting rendered band to eaves; rubble stone wall (east) originally lime rendered with rough hewn limestone flush quoins to corners. Timber shopfront to ground floor on an extended symmetrical plan centred on timber boarded half-door. Square-headed window openings (first floor) with sills, and rendered surrounds framing six-over-six timber sash windows. Square-headed window openings (east) with sills, and rough hewn limestone lintels framing replacement timber casement windows having square glazing bars replacing six-over-six or three-over-six timber sash windows having exposed sash boxes. Street fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
A house representing an important component of the built heritage of Ennis with the architectural value of the composition confirmed by such attributes as the compact plan form; the battered silhouette; the centralised openings indicating deep wall masses; and the high pitched roof: meanwhile, a repurposed gable wall with diagonal chimney stack has been dated to the turn of the seventeenth century [RMP CL033-082005-] while recent restoration work (2011-2) has uncovered horizontal oak beams dendrochronoligically dated to 1672. Having been well maintained, the form and massing survive intact together with substantial quantities of the original fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior, including a traditional Irish shopfront of artistic interest making a pleasing visual statement in Parnell Street at street level. NOTE: Given as the childhood home of Harriett Smithson (1800-54) who achieved a degree of celebrity as a Shakespearean actress in London and Paris and as the muse and first spouse of the composer Hector Berlioz (1803-69).