Survey Data

Reg No

16404301


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Historical, Social


Original Use

Church/chapel


In Use As

Church/chapel


Date

1815 - 1825


Coordinates

304074, 172388


Date Recorded

12/08/2003


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached three-bay single-storey Church of Ireland church, built 1820-2. The building is finished in render with granite dressings. To the centre of the west front elevation is a three-stage tower with castellated parapet and tall corner pinnacles; to the south is a small lean-to boiler house. At the rear is a lean-to vestry addition. Door and window openings are pointed-arched. Windows have "Y" and geometric tracery. The pitched roof is finished with natural slate and has cast-iron rainwater goods. The church is set within an enclosed graveyard with a granite wall, square gate pillars and wrought-iron gates.

Appraisal

An early nineteenth-century church built to designs by Christmas Johnston (----) and with financial support from the Board of First Fruits (fl. 1711-1833). The church was later improved (1879) to designs by Richard Langrishe (1834-1922). The interior features a stained glass "East Window" (1931) signed by Alfred Ernest Child (1875-1939) of An Túr Gloine (opened 1903), Dublin, which commemorates 'ALICE [1842-1930] youngest daughter of TIMOTHY HASKINS of Firwood Tinahely'.