Survey Data

Reg No

16404004


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Archaeological, Architectural, Artistic


Original Use

Hunting/fishing lodge


In Use As

House


Date

1670 - 1690


Coordinates

319737, 177412


Date Recorded

--/--/--


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached five-bay two-storey over basement former hunting lodge, built c.1680. The house, which was re-fronted in the later 19th-century, is finished in render. The replacement panelled door is set within a projecting flat roofed porch with castellated parapet; this is set on a three-bay gabled breakfront. Window openings are flat headed with one over one timber sash frames; some are tripartite. The hipped roof is finished with natural slate and has cast-iron rainwater goods. The roof is partly hidden by a castellated parapet (added in the 19th century). Chimneystacks have plain caps and tall clay pots. Internally much of the original detailing has survived. To the rear there are stable blocks some of which are now derelict. The house is set within a large wooded demesne.

Appraisal

Though somewhat marred by later 19th-century "improvements" this late 17th-century house has retained much of its original form and remains one of the most noteworthy buildings in the county.