Survey Data

Reg No

16403902


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social


Original Use

Church/chapel


In Use As

Church/chapel


Date

1860 - 1865


Coordinates

310781, 178023


Date Recorded

--/--/--


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached five-bay single-storey Roman Catholic Church, built 1862 to designs by Richard Pierce. The building is constructed in rubble fieldstone with ashlar dressings; it is complete with side aisles, shallow transepts, porches and a tall off centre tower with broach spire. The timber sheeted door is set within a pointed-arched opening. Window openings are also pointed-arched with single, paired and triple lancet designs. The pitched roof is finished with natural slate with cast-iron rainwater goods. Internally the church is in almost original condition with the original pews, stained glass, the reredos and exposed scissor trusses. A colonnade of gothic arches separates the nave from the side aisles. The church is set within its own grounds which is in use as part garden, part car park and part graveyard. In 1999 a small 1798 rebellion memorial plaque was erected on a rendered boundary wall beside a small stile.

Appraisal

A well preserved mid Victorian gothic style Roman Catholic church with all the hallmarks of the genre.