Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Archaeological Social
In Use As
1670 - 1680
Detached multiple-bay two storey former pair of houses, the most northerly of which was built c.1675, now in use as one dwelling. Flanking the houses are two farm buildings which give the grouping a 'U'-plan. The timber sheeted door is set within a flat-headed opening. Window openings are also flat-headed with a mixture of two over two timber sash frames and replacement top-hung frames. The pitched roofs are finished with natural slate and cast-iron rainwater goods. The southern section has a dentilled eaves course. Chimneystacks are of varying size; all are rendered and have no pots. Internally there are three very large chimney breasts which contain inglenooks. One contains the remains of a bread oven. The house is set on a slight rise within its own grounds.
A rare example of a 17th-century house of the "middling" variety. The building is generally well preserved and blends in well with its rural surroundings. The owner advised that this house was constructed by the Pym's, a prominent Quaker family on their arrival in the area. The southern house may originally have been two houses built for daughters of the Pym's. Its is likely that the Quaker meetings were held in the original house.