Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Historical Social
In Use As
1695 - 1700
Detached five-bay two-storey house, built c.1697. The building is finished in render and has a three-bay breakfront which previously was pedimented. Two-bay single-storey wings were added in 1843. The remains of the hipped roof is finished in natural slate. The house is set within a well wooded demesne which contain renowned gardens and an arboretum. Following a fire in 1976 the house is now ruinous. Large range of outbuildings to the rear of the house, now partly converted to dwellings and visitor services.
Although now ruinous this is still an important 17th century house and is certainly worth preserving. Site is in the care of the Office of Public Works. Gardens open to the public.