Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1805
Detached eleven-bay two-storey over basement castle style former country house, built 1804 for Francis Synge MP to designs by Francis Johnston. The building fell into dereliction in the 1940s; and restored and converted to use as four terraced houses in 1975. It is finished in render. The one bay breakfront rises to three storeys over basement with bartizans. To each corner is a circular tower. The high parapets are all castellated and obscure the roof structure. A number of flat-roofed single-storey porches have been added to the south-west elevation; these front entrances to the apartments enter through what was the rear of the castle. Window openings are flat-headed with replacement casement frames. The building is picturesquely set within a well wooded demesne.
In spite of the significant changes of use this house remains a positive asset to the local heritage.