Survey Data

Reg No

16402109


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Historical, Social


Original Use

Church/chapel


In Use As

Church/chapel


Date

1710 - 1715


Coordinates

292396, 194210


Date Recorded

--/--/--


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached two-bay single-storey Church of Ireland church, built in 1711, with three-stage tower added in 1821 and chancel in 1875. To the north there is a small hipped roof vestry projection and some smaller lean-to projections. The walls are finished in a combination of roughcast and lined render, with granite surrounds to the openings and granite string courses to the tower, whilst the pitched roofs of the nave and chancel are slated and have stone parapets. The roofs of the projections to north are also slated but the roof of the tower is hidden by a crenellated parapet with tall granite corner pinnacles. The entrance is to the north face of the tower and consists of a pointed arch-headed timber door. The windows are a mixture of segmental, pointed and semi-circular arch-headed with most filled with stained glass. Replacement metal rainwater goods. The church is surrounded by a small graveyard enclosed by a rubble wall with wrought-iron gates to the west with square piers.

Appraisal

With its simple nave of 1711, Gothic tower of 1821 and chancel of 1875 this Church of Ireland church displays the classic hallmarks of the evolution of the genre in the 18th and 19th centuries, and as such is a very good example of its type.