Survey Data

Reg No

16402107


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social


Original Use

Church/chapel


In Use As

Church/chapel


Date

1875 - 1880


Coordinates

293180, 194001


Date Recorded

--/--/--


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached five-bay single-storey Gothic style Roman Catholic church, with chancel vestry and porch projections, built in 1877. The walls are of squared granite, with a bevelled base course and moulded dripstones and string courses. The pitched gable-ended roofs of the nave, chancel and porch are slated and have granite parapets with finials (to chancel and porch), a bellcote (to nave), and crested ridge tiles also (to nave). The vestry has a slated hipped roof with small lean-to entrance section to its west side. There is a decorative granite chimneystack between the vestry and chancel. The entrance consists of a pointed arch timber door set within a reveal with moulded archivolt. The windows are largely pointed arch-headed and filled with stained glass, some of which is pictorial. Cast-iron rainwater goods. The church is set within its own grounds with a small graveyard to the north side. The building has a single cell interior with largely plain plastered and painted walls, exposed timber roof trusses and a carpeted floor. The chancel area is set behind a large pointed arch-headed opening with moulded archivolt. The open bench pews are c.1970s replacements.

Appraisal

Solid well-maintained example of a relatively modest 1870s Roman Catholic church; the design is unremarkable but very typical of the era.