Survey Data

Reg No

16402003


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social


Original Use

Church/chapel


In Use As

Church/chapel


Date

1810 - 1815


Coordinates

283389, 196689


Date Recorded

--/--/--


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached three-bay single-storey Board of First Fruits Gothic style Church of Ireland church with three-stage tower, built 1814. The building consists of a short nave with the tower to the west end and a vestry projection to the north (probably added c.1840). The walls of the nave are now finished in a mixture of roughcast, lined render, with moulded quoins and granite dressings to some of the openings. The tower is finished in roughcast and has moulded granite string courses, dripstones and a crenellated parapet with granite corner pinnacles, whilst the vestry has rubble walls with granite quoins. The gable-ended pitched roofs of the nave and vestry are both slated and have granite parapets with a decorative chimneystack to the apex of the vestry gable and a cross finial to the east gable of the nave. The roof of the tower is hidden by the parapet. The entrance is to the north face of the tower and consists of a pointed arch timber door set in a bevelled reveal. The windows have pointed arch heads with some filled with decorative stone tracery and stained glass and others with timber sash frames. The chancel window has reticulated tracery. Mixture of cast-iron and replacement metal rainwater goods. The church is surrounded by a small graveyard enclosed by a rubble wall.

Appraisal

Despite the later roughcast and render finishes to much of the building, this early 19th-century Church of Ireland church has retained much of its original appearance and sits well in its rural surroundings.