Survey Data

Reg No

16401804


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Historical, Social


Original Use

Church/chapel


Date

1810 - 1830


Coordinates

318357, 201359


Date Recorded

--/--/--


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached three-bay single-storey Church of Ireland church with three-stage tower and transepts, built c.1820 but now a ruin. The walls of the nave and transepts are partly in rubble and partly rendered, and the tower is in squared rubble and also partly rendered, with moulded string courses and a crenellated parapet. The roof has been completely removed. The entrance is to the south face of the tower and consists of a timber door set within a pointed arch-headed opening. The windows are also pointed arch-headed but are totally devoid of glazing or frames. Internally the building has been completely stripped and the walls finished in render. The church is surrounded by a graveyard, which includes the grave of former President, Erskine Childers.

Appraisal

Stark ruin of an early 19th-century Church of Ireland church, which, even in its present state adds interest to the local topography.