Survey Data

Reg No

16401801


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Historical, Technical


Original Use

Dam/reservoir/basin


In Use As

Dam/reservoir/basin


Date

1855 - 1875


Coordinates

321433, 201699


Date Recorded

--/--/--


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Single-stage stone-built ‘valve’ tower sited within the Vartry Reservoir, constructed c.1865. The tower was built to give access to underground draw-off pipes, which stretch from the reservoir itself through a dam to the treatment plant on the other side. The tower is constructed in squared rubble with roughly fashioned granite quoins, and is topped with a crenellated parapet. There is a metal sheeted door to the south face of the tower set within a pointed arch recess with granite dressings. The tower is accessed via an iron girder bridge comprised of twin latticed trusses with parabolic curved top chords, which in turn is accessed from the side of the dam via a tower-like gateway, similar in style to the valve tower itself. The tower is set roughly 30m into the reservoir.

Appraisal

This tower and bridge are both part of the first purpose-built reservoir designed to supply the City of Dublin and as such are of historical importance.