Categories of Special Interest
1670 - 1690
Detached two-bay single-storey gable-ended Church of Ireland church, built c.1680, now disused. The building has a simple rectangular plan with later off-centre lean-to porch to the front (west) gable and a small lean-to to the south. The side walls are battered. The building is partly clad in slate with roughcast over, and partly finished in a replacement render; granite eaves course. The pitched roof is slated and has a granite bellcote and parapets, and a small rendered chimneystack. The entrance is to the north face of the porch and consists of a timber door. Most of the windows have pointed arch heads, with those to the north and south filled with multiple-pane timber frames, whilst the east window has an elliptical head, stone Y-tracery and stained glass. Replacement metal rainwater goods. The church is set on a slight rise and surrounded by a graveyard.
17th-century churches are a rare commodity, largely intact 17th-century churches even scarcer. Despite the small porch and lean-to additions this particular example has maintained much of its original form and as such is possibly one of the most noteworthy churches in the whole county.