Survey Data

Reg No

16400903


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social


Original Use

Church/chapel


In Use As

Church/chapel


Date

1825 - 1835


Coordinates

293891, 205516


Date Recorded

--/--/--


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached three-bay single-storey cruciform Roman Catholic church, built in 1830, but with the original chancel / vestry projection to the east demolished c.1975 and replaced with a lower flat-roofed section. The walls are finished in painted lined render and the gable-ended pitched roof is slated with granite bellcote to the front (west) gable and cross finial to the south. The entrance sits within a small gabled porch and consists of a timber double door with segmental-arched fanlight over. The windows are pointed arch headed and are largely filled with stained glass. Cast-iron rainwater goods. The church is surrounded by a graveyard with a small freestanding bell ‘tower’ to the north side. Internally the church contains a single space with largely plain plastered and painted walls, a timber lined ceiling with exposed cross brace trusses and a part timber part encaustic tiled floor. There are galleries above each of the three aisles, all with decorative pierced panels to the front. The bench pews are of c.1980.

Appraisal

This early 19th-century Roman Catholic church is a good example of the typically plain forms employed prior to Emancipation (although the building does actually date from 1830); as such it contributes much to the semi-rural ‘streetscape’ of Hollywood.