Survey Data

Reg No

16400818


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Archaeological


In Use As

Farmyard complex


Date

1810 - 1830


Coordinates

326820, 216259


Date Recorded

19/08/2003


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced multiple-bay two-storey grouping of stables offices and outbuildings built c.1820 around 17th-century buildings. The walls are finished in roughcast render and ashlar granite. The entrance to the yard is through a large open archway, which is flanked by Tuscan order columns, which support a frieze and cornice; blocking stones rise to support rampant dragons. To the first floor there is a projecting oriel mullioned and transomed window; this is surmounted by a clock. The hipped roof has bracketed overhanging eaves. The remaining buildings around the courtyard are relatively plain two-storey structures with hipped slated roofs. There are some advancing pedimented bays. The grouping is set slightly to the west of Kilruddery House.

Appraisal

This well preserved grouping incorporates the oldest buildings within the Kilruddery estate, and demonstrate something of the development of the complex. Although valuable in their own right they also add considerably to the group value of the whole.