Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1890 - 1895
Detached five-bay single-storey Roman Catholic church, built in 1891. The building is constructed in rock-faced squared granite rubble. It is articulated with reducing granite quoins and has an ashlar bellcote. To the north side there is a chancel, with a hipped roof vestry to the east side. The timber sheeted double front doors have strap hinges and are set within a projecting gabled porch. Window openings are generally tall lancets with pointed arched heads and brick pattern leaded glass. The roof is finished in natural slate with cast-iron rainwater goods; there are finials to gable peaks depicting Celtic crosses of different designs. The chimneystack is in stone with a boldly corbelled cap and a small clay pot. The church is set on a slight rise behind a low rubble granite wall with ashlar square gate pillars with wrought-iron gates.
This late 19th century Roman Catholic church is delightfully set on a slight rise overlooking the road. It is in original condition and adds much to the local heritage.