Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
1850 - 1870
Detached five-bay single storey-church, built c.1860. To the south side is a three-stage tower which belonged to an earlier church. The building is constructed in ashlar granite with granite dressings, drip mouldings and reducing buttresses; buttresses have distinctive tall octagonal stone pinnacles with castellated 'crown' caps. There are two front doors, one to either side of a projecting bay to the west elevation; each is set within a pointed-arched opening. To the east elevation there is a projecting gabled chancel with two small side porches with crenellations. Window openings are pointed-arched and have 'Y' tracery. The pitched roof has natural slate covering and cast-iron rainwater goods. The church is set within its own grounds and is surrounded by a small graveyard.
This mid 19th-century church is in good condition and is well preserved. It adds a sense of dignity and importance to the streetscape. In addition it adds variety and interest to the surroundings.