Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1880 - 1900
Detached seven-bay single-storey former Sunday School hall, built c.1890, and now in use as a National Training and Development Centre. The building is constructed in semi-coursed rubble granite with brick dressings. To the north is a recent modern lean-to addition. The west gable has a triple lancet window with multiple-paned metal frames. That to the east has an oculus multiple paned metal frame. The timber sheeted door is set within a small lean-to porch. Window openings have shallow pointed arch-headed openings with multiple-paned metal frames. The pitched roof is slated, with serrated clay ridge tiles, a tall central fleche, cast-iron rainwater goods and projecting eaves course. The building is set in a small lane and is positioned behind a low rubble granite wall.
The former Sunday School hall has been successfully reused as an adult training centre. Despite the recent addition it remains a positive asset to the town’s built heritage. Together with the National School and the school masters house this has a strong group value.