Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1875 - 1885
End-of-terrace three-bay three-storey bank, built c.1880. The façade is finished in rusticated granite at ground floor level, with brick to the upper storeys, granite sill courses and granite coping to the parapet. The south elevation is rendered as is the exposed section of the east elevation. Bracketed eaves course to the south elevation. The roof is hipped and slated. The entrance is located on the curved north-west corner and consists of a panelled timber door with further timber panelling and a segmental-headed fanlight above, all set within a semi-circular arched recess with decorative moulded keystone. The windows to the ground level are semi-circular headed and have one over one and two over two timber sash frames, all set into recesses similar to the entrance. A former window opening to the west elevation now houses an automated teller machine. There are small ventilation roundels set between the heads of the ground floor windows. The windows to the upper floors are flat-headed with plain timber sash frames. The name 'Bank of Ireland' is spelt out in gold painted incised lettering above the ground floor windows, with c.1990s projecting bank signage at either side of the entrance, and the bank's emblem above the corner window to the first floor. The building has a street frontage.
This typically solid looking bank has largely escaped any serious corporate makeover. Its elements of Renaissance styling sit well with the nearby Roman Catholic church and all-in-all it remains a valuable asset to the streetscape.