Survey Data

Reg No

16319006


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social


Original Use

Church/chapel


In Use As

Church/chapel


Date

1805 - 1810


Coordinates

294005, 184722


Date Recorded

--/--/--


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached six-bay single-storey Church of Ireland Church, built 1806. The church has a three-stage tower; the transept to the north side, side aisle to the south, chancel to the east, various porch and other additions are all later. The plan is roughly rectangular. The building is constructed in granite with a render finish to the tower; it has reducing buttresses. The double sheeted timber door is set within a pointed-arched opening which is set within a gabled projecting porch. Window openings have various designs and include paired and triple lancet, gothic with geometric tracery and quatrefoil (to the clerestory) along with some recent flat-headed variety. Many openings have moulded dripstones and decorative leaded glazing. The pitched roof is finished with natural slate with cast-iron rainwater goods. The chimneystack is granite with a square base and circular cap; it has no pot. The church is set within its own grounds and is surrounded by a small graveyard with some distinctive memorial stones. It is well set back from the road.

Appraisal

This early Gothic style church adds a sense of permanence and importance to this small and modest 19th-century settlement. It is the only church within the village and that combined with its obvious quality makes it perhaps the most memorable and important building of Kiltegan.