Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Historical, Social
1850 - 1870
Detached multiple-bay part two, part three and part four-storey (all over basement) former corn mill complex, built c.1860 and now largely derelict. The complex is laid out roughly in an L-shaped formation with a two-storey gable-ended section to the west, (which was at one point much longer but which was largely demolished some time in the mid to later 1900s), and a four-storey gable-ended section to the east with a taller four-storey tower-like section with a pyramidal roof attached to its north-west corner. The various sections are all constructed in rubble with granite quoins and brick dressings to the openings, whilst the pitched (and pyramidal) roofs are slated. The entrances are now blocked up and the uniform flat-headed windows are now largely devoid of frames. The complex is set directly onto a roadside with a large open yard to the rear.
Though derelict and partly demolished this large mid to later 19th-century corn mill remains one of Rathdrum’s most impressive structures; it is also the town’s only industrial building of note.