Survey Data

Reg No

16314005


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Historical, Social


Original Use

Church/chapel


In Use As

Church/chapel


Date

1845 - 1850


Coordinates

314558, 196711


Date Recorded

--/--/--


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached three-bay single-storey Board of First Fruits style Church of Ireland church with three-stage tower, built 1847. The building consists of the rectangular gable-ended nave with a small gabled vestry projection to the east and the tower to the west. The façade is finished in unpainted roughcast with granite string courses to the tower. The pitched roof of the nave is slated as is that of the vestry projection, whilst the roof of the tower is hidden by a crenellated parapet with tall corner pinnacles. The entrance is to the west face of the tower and consists of a pointed arch timber tongue and groove door screen with double door with strap hinges. Stone steps with wrought-iron guardrail. The windows are uniform with pointed arch heads, timber Y-tracery frames and small leaded hexagonal panes. The church is set in a clearing in a well-wooded area with a short lane leading to the road.

Appraisal

Neat, well preserved Church of Ireland church of 1847 in simple, largely unadorned Gothic style. The church is of considerable local significance, having been built (along with St Kevin’s Roman Catholic church) as part of a Famine relief programme.