Survey Data

Reg No

16308013


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social


Original Use

Church/chapel


In Use As

Church/chapel


Date

1815 - 1820


Coordinates

287008, 201507


Date Recorded

--/--/--


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached five-bay single-storey Board of First Fruits Gothic Church of Ireland church, built 1816. Transepts were added in 1835 and the chancel in 1897. The building is finished in render. The sheeted double door has decorative strap hinges and is set within a pointed-arched opening with moulded surrounds. Window openings are generally pointed-arched with ‘Y’ tracery and hood mouldings; panes are leaded. The three-stage tower has ashlar castellated parapet and tall pinnacles. The pitched roof is finished in natural slate with cast-iron rainwater goods. The building is set well back behind a granite rubble wall with wrought-iron railings. It is set within a small graveyard.

Appraisal

A delightful early 19th-century church whose later additions give additional interest and charm. This is an important part of the heritage of this small town.